Is HibernateD dead?

Bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sat May 5 11:46:57 UTC 2018

On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 19:54:46 UTC, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> I've written an email to Vadim, maybe we get a reply on the
> status of both projects.
>

> On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 07:18:09 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Would it maybe be easier for you to base on ddbc[1] or
>>> another existing abstraction layer for database abstraction?
>>> Ddbc is pretty neat, and even has support for reading structs
>>> directly from the database.
>>>

>> Perhaps, but it'd have to be a forked version as I don't
>> really want to depend on something that isn't updated
>> regularly.
>>
>> ddbc's last commit was a year ago.
>
> Yes, at the moment using ddbc and relying on it would mean
> taking over some maintenance of it. Ddbc is fairly complete
> though and might save you a lot of work, because it already
> abstracts a lot of (relational) database systems.
>
>> I can't seem to find a license for it though?
>
> It's Boost licensed (BSL-1.0), but probably needs an explicit
> LICENSE file.
> Maybe we can move ddbc to dlang-community, so more people can
> easily commit changes to it (provided it gets accepted there,
> and Vadim agrees with that move as well).

> Taking over maintenance of it might be easier than
> reimplementing the database abstraction again though.
> For Postgres, ddbc worked really well for me, and I assume its
> SQLite, MySQL and ODBC drivers are also still working well,
> meaning less work for you.
> Without ddbc, you'd have to write new abstraction on top of
> some other libraries, like dpq2.

>>> Hmm... Does any public code for that exist already that I
>>> could play around with?
>>> Unfortunately, I have a few more unusual requirements for
>>> Postgres, like:
>>>  * UUIDs as primary keys, instead of integers
>>
>> As far as I remember the implementation of @DbId in Diamond,
>> then it supports whatever type.
>
> Native support for std.uuid.UUID would be neat :-) For
> Hibernated I use a mixin to convert a UUID into strings
> transparently, for database insertion.
>
>> Diamond doesn't care much about what type your primary key is.
>>
>> I will make sure that's how it function of course, if it
>> currently doesn't behave like it, but I'm pretty sure it does.
>>
>>>  * Ability to register custom datatypes with the ORM (version
>>> numbers in this case, the ORM can view them as text, but the
>>> database has a special type for them)
>>
>> That could be done with some attribute that lets you handle
>> columns yourself.
>>
>> Do you have a good name for it?
>>
>> I was thinking @DbProxy and then the function would be
>> something like:
>> [...]
>
> Registering a new type with Postgres yields a new OID to
> identify the type, so I would need a function to tell the
> Postgres backend to treat OIDs of a certain number like "text"
> types. Ideally, I would also need to annotate entity to set a
> specific column type, like:
>
> ```
> class Entity {
> [...]

Thanks for the license information. I wouldn't mind taking over
maintenance of ddbc and you're right that it would definitely be
much easier to integrate. Also it could be better to cut down
different dependencies for each driver.

Let's see what we can figure out. I have a lot of this weekend so
I'll try to throw in time for this.

And yes, I've been working as the only developer since I started
two years ago, but sometimes it would be nice with more
developers as development would be faster and it wouldn't die
when I'm busy