Is this a bug? +goto

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu Nov 8 10:31:31 UTC 2018

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:34:34 AM MST Michelle Long via Digitalmars-
d-learn wrote:
> Obviously, but that is not the case I mentioned. You can assume
> that I know how scopes work. No need to assume everyone that
> shows two cases that you have to bring up an unrelated case as a
> potential cause unless it is relevant.
>
> Remember, I'm showing the starting case that has the bug and the
> final case that doesn't... it is simply "mental dustmite" on the
> code I have.
>
> You shouldn't assume everyone can't comprehend such trivialities.
>
> If a person cannot understand scope then I doubt they understand
> goto's... and definitely not that adding braces should not change
> the compiler behavior.
>
> What happens when you do that you just create noise that makes it
> more difficult to have a proper discussion that gets at the whole
> point of the conversation.
>
> You seem to default to assuming that the person you are talking
> to has no clue about the problem at hand. You might not do it
> intentionally but it is wrong to assume that because it almost
> never helps.

If you fully understood the situation, you wouldn't be asking whether your
case was a compiler bug or not, and I don't know which parts you do and
don't understand. So, I tried to be thorough in explaining the situation.
And yes, by being thorough, I'm more likely to cover information that you
already know and understand, but I'm also more likely to cover the
information that you actually need. In order to avoid repeating anything you
already understand and only tell you exactly what you need to know, I would
have to somehow understand exactly which piece of the puzzle it is you're
missing, and I don't.

Honestly, that rarely seems to be easy to do, and for whatever reason, it
seems to be even harder to do than normal when discussing this issue with
you. It seems like most of the discussion of this issue between you and
various folks has been people talking passed each other without really
coming to an understanding, which always makes for a frustrating discussion.

I'd like to help, but I don't know what else I can say. I've tried to
explain how braces interact with goto and why, so you should be able to
figure out whether you're dealing with a compiler bug or not. And if you
are, unless you're dealing with one that someone else already has found
independently and reported with a test case, somehow, you're going to need
to reduce it enough to be able to create a bug report with an example if you
want it fixed. A small example would be nice, but even a large example would
be better than nothing. Either way, ultimately, without a reproducible test
case, compiler bugs almost never get fixed. It just isn't practical for the
compiler devs to track down bugs based on vague bug reports, even if they'd
like to be helpful.

- Jonathan M Davis