Why is stdio ... stdio?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Nov 9 09:11:37 UTC 2018

On Friday, November 9, 2018 1:27:44 AM MST Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On Friday, 9 November 2018 at 06:42:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > Honestly, having markdown in messages being typical would be
> > _really_ annoying for those of us not using the web interface,
> > because we'd see all of those backticks and the like as
> > backticks, not as syntax highlighting. It would be like seeing
> > html, albeit far less intrusive. I for one would much rather
> > that things just stay as pure text and that we not be adding
> > any features to the web interface that encourages adding _any_
> > kind of markup to messages. The web interface makes it easier
> > for folks who don't want to use a newsgroup or mailing list to
> > interact with the newsgroup, but it's still a newsgroup, and
> > _many_ of us use it as such.
>
> You used markdown three times in your message.

No, I didn't. I just used underscores, which has been used with plain text
for emphasis for decades. Supporting markdown, would involve stuff like
backticks for code highlighting, and special markup for urls - stuff that
doesn't actually provide information to someone who's reading plain text but
just gets in the way, whereas the underscores _do_ provide information to
someone reading plain text.

- Jonathan M Davis