Why is stdio ... stdio?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 02:51:36 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 10 November 2018 at 23:29:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> The fact that they got added to ddoc just further degrades it
> as a proper, macro-based markup language.

The backticks were added to ddoc because they enabled something
that was *virtually impossible* in ddoc before - proper character
escaping. It actually originally had nothing to do with syntax
sugar nor even with presentation - just the constant repetition
of that myth has made it into a bit of reality.

On the forum though, characters are already escaped properly, so
there's no need here. Syntax highlighting for larger blocks is
something I'm meh on - I don't really care either way if we
wanted to do it.