Why is stdio ... stdio?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 14:23:42 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 November 2018 at 03:57:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> It may be that a feature was needed to do better character
> escaping

Yeah, I would have preferred to just escape all of it (and axe
the biggest mis"feature" ddoc has imo - embedded HTML), but it
got rejected :(

> On the whole, the worst features of ddoc are the ones that act
> least like macros. They're the ones that are most "magical" and
> the ones that generally have to be fought and worked around.

I have no problem with the

---
code
---

or with the

params:
  a = whatever

bit... though the stupid _highlight crap is awful, and

random:

being a header drives me a bit nuts too. So I guess I see where
you're coming from.

Of course, I no longer care about ddoc, since I just did a custom
doc gen.

> but I don't want it doing anything that encourages people to
> start putting markdown in their messages, because I don't use
> the web interface, I don't want to have to see markdown in the
> middle of plain text messages any more than I want to see html.

Frankly, people already do this stuff and I don't see that
changing.

When I wrote my competitor for the forum back in the day, I had
it trying to auto-detect code by looking for { or ; at the end of
a line, or // at the beginning. I thought it worked reasonably
well, but in the end i didn't really like it because IMO
highlighting code on a forum is worthless anyway.

But so many people write the --- or ``` or <code> thing that it
prolly wouldn't hurt to read it too.