Why is stdio ... stdio?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:31:46 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 November 2018 at 10:10:37 UTC, bauss wrote:

> I just want to say everyone who doesn't use the web-interface
> has to look at markdown anyway because people still write code
> in backticks etc. despite no support; even I do that.

Me, too. It's easy and unobtrusive.

As for actually rendering it, Validimir has commented on this in
the past. From the D Blog:

> First, people using NNTP/email won’t see the rendered versions.
> Which isn’t a big deal by itself since it’s just text, but does
> create feature imparity. It *is* possible to write Markdown
> that looks fine when rendered but is unreadable in source form,
> especially with some common extensions such as GitHub Flavored
> Markdown.

> Second, unless we’re careful with this, people using
> NNTP/mailing lists might trigger Markdown formatting that could
> make their post unreadable. This could be avoided, though, by
> only rendering messages with Markdown if they originate from
> the web interface, which allows previewing posts."

And that quote is followed by this commentary from me:

"Even so, he’s hoping to add support for Markdown at some point
in the future."

https://dlang.org/blog/2016/06/10/core-team-update-vladimir-panteleev/