Writing Postgresql extension in D

Radu void at null.pt
Fri Nov 16 06:50:12 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 November 2018 at 02:18:11 UTC, Ranjan wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 November 2018 at 17:03:55 UTC, Andrea Fontana
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 15 November 2018 at 13:05:59 UTC, Ranjan wrote:
>>> This is my first time on the Dlang forum. I like the language
>>> but my usecase is a bit different.
>>>
>>> I want to write Postgresql extension in D. Currently
>>> extension can be written in C or C linked languages. Has
>>> anyone done this or can point me to some code.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Did you read this: https://dlang.org/spec/interfaceToC.html ?
>>
>> Andrea
>
> Yes, but it's not useful, in Postgesql extension C code needs
> to call D, without GarbageCollection. I am able to do this in
> RustLang but I am not sure how to in D, as it has a GC. Looking
> for examples from the community.
>
> Thanks

There is -betterC [1] compiler flag that allows one to code
without the D runtime and create programs that depend only on the
C runtime, so there is no GC - and no GC related functionality
also.

You probably want to try this route for creating the extension,
as it will be simpler if you know C and the Postgres API.

1. https://dlang.org/spec/betterc.html