difficulties with const structs and alias this / template functions

Rubn where at is.this
Sun Nov 18 22:30:52 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 18 November 2018 at 17:30:18 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> I'm making a fixed point numeric type and want it to work
> correctly with const. First problem:
>
> ```
> const q16 a = 6;
> a /= 2;          // compiles! despite `a` being const.
> writeln(a);      // still 6
> a.toQ32 /= 2;    // what's actually happening
> ```
>
> My q16 type has an implicit conversion to q32 (like how int can
> be converted to long):
> ```
> q32 toQ32() const {
>   return q32(...);
> }
> alias toQ32 this;
> ```
> How do I make it so that a const(q16) will be converted to a
> const(q32) instead of mutable q32?
>
> Second problem:
> ```
> Q log2(Q)(Q num) if (is(Q : q16) || is(Q : q32)) {
>     import std.traits: Unqual;
>     Unqual!Q x = num;
>     // actual code
> }
> ```
> When I call this with a const(q16), Q is resolved to const(q16)
> so I have to unqualify Q every time. It works, but feels
> clumsy. Is there an easier way to automatically de-const
> parameters? We're working with small value types here, it
> should be simple.
>
> If anyone knows any other pitfalls with const, I'd love to know
> them.

Yah most people tend to avoid const for this reason. It only
really works for basic types, if you have a "const int" you can
convert it to an "int" by copy. But if you have a type like
Vector!(const int) that won't work, you can't even convert
Vector!int to Vector!(const int) easily for example.

> ```
> Q log2(Q)(Q num) if (is(Q : q16) || is(Q : q32)) {
>     import std.traits: Unqual;
>     Unqual!Q x = num;
>     // actual code
> }
> ```

This is pretty much the only way, you can just add

alias V = Unqual!Q;

then use V in your function instead of Unqual!Q everywhere.