Why does nobody seem to think that `null` is a serious problem in D?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso jordigh at octave.org
Mon Nov 19 21:23:31 UTC 2018

When I was first playing with D, I managed to create a segfault
by doing `SomeClass c;` and then trying do something with the
object I thought I had default-created, by analogy with C++
syntax. Seasoned D programmers will recognise that I did nothing
of the sort and instead created c is null and my program ended up
dereferencing a null pointer.

I'm not the only one who has done this. I can't find it right
now, but I've seen at least one person open a bug report because
they misunderstood this as a bug in dmd.

I have been told a couple of times that this isn't something that
needs to be patched in the language, but I don't understand. It
seems like a very easy way to generate a segfault (and not a
NullPointerException or whatever).

What's the reasoning for allowing this?