When does GC run?

John Burton john.burton at jbmail.com
Tue Oct 16 09:38:44 UTC 2018

Is there any documentation or information about the specifics of
the garbage collector?

The information I have found indicates that it runs to free
memory when the system runs out of memory to allocate. But will
this try to use all the system memory or some other amount before
trying to garbage collect? If I have a _lot_ of garbage, will it
try to collect that before allocating any more system memory? Is
this configurable in any way?

Any information or just pointer to information that I've somehow
failed to find would be appreciated.