Which Docker to use?

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Wed Oct 17 23:15:53 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 08:08:44 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 03:37:21 UTC, Ky-Anh Huynh
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to build some static binaries with LDC. I also need to
>> execute builds on both platform 32-bit and 64-bit.
>>

>> From Docker Hub there are two image groups:
>>
>> * language/ldc (last update 5 months ago)
>> * dlang2/ldc-ubuntu (updated recently)
>>

>> Which one do you suggest?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> To be honest, you don't need docker for this. You can just
> download LDC in a self-contained folder and use it as is.
>
> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases
>
> That's what I do on Linux.

I need to use docker to build static linked Linux executables. My
reason is specific, may be different than the OP's. I'm using
Travis-CI to build executables. Travis-CI uses Ubuntu 14.04, but
static linking fails on 14.04. The standard C library from Ubuntu
16.04 or later is needed. There may be other/better ways to do
this, I don't know.