Which Docker to use?

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Sun Oct 21 18:45:30 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 21 October 2018 at 18:11:37 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2018-10-18 01:15, Jon Degenhardt wrote:
>
>> I need to use docker to build static linked Linux executables.
>> My reason
>> is specific, may be different than the OP's. I'm using
>> Travis-CI to
>> build executables. Travis-CI uses Ubuntu 14.04, but static
>> linking fails
>> on 14.04. The standard C library from Ubuntu 16.04 or later is
>> needed.
>> There may be other/better ways to do this, I don't know.
>
> That's interesting. I've built static binaries for DStep using
> LDC on Travis CI without any problems.

My comment painted too broad a brush. I had forgotten how
specific the issue I saw was. Apologies for the confusion.

The issue that caused me to go to Ubuntu 16.04 had to do with
uncaught exceptions when using LTO with the gold linker and LDC
1.5. Problem occurred with 14.04, but not 16.04. I should go back
and retest on Ubuntu 14.04 with a more recent LDC, it may well
have been corrected. The issue thread is here:
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2390.