Overloads not returning appropriate info. [Field reflunkory]

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 15:35:46 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 7 April 2019 at 03:47:25 UTC, Alex wrote:
> rules are meant to be broken.

No they're not! Almost by definition not!

More comprehensively, if you break a rule you take responsibility
for the outcome. You wanna use stringof? "Don't use stringof for
that." "rules are meant to be broken." -- "Wah, my code doesn't
work, stringof is shit, bad design, fix D pls." Don't ask
questions if you don't care about the answers. More importantly,
don't ignore advice and then complain about it.

> You can't expect to lead by authority. Give a good reason why I
> should avoid it and change my current ways and I will.

Your code will break in surprising and unfixable ways. `stringof`
is not *for* mixin. If you use it for mixin, you will be on your
own design-wise. The language will not be changed to "fix" the
"bugs" you run into. It will work until it won't work, and then
you'll have to rewrite the entire thing anyway.

Don't use stringof for mixin.