Templates - What's Up with the template keyword?

Ron Tarrant rontarrant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 10:53:49 UTC 2019

On Monday, 8 April 2019 at 14:56:46 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> In the subsequent sections, I show both long and short
> (eponymous) forms of enum and function templates.

In your book, Mike, you stated:

> Remember, a template is only instantiated once for each set of
> arguments and
> the same instantiation can be repeated in multiple modules
> throughout a
> program. If each instantiation were scoped locally, the
> template would no
> longer work as expected.

That leads me to speculate that it should be possible to use a
class template as a sort of singleton. But, because a class
template (from what I understand currently) needs to be
instantiated using 'new,' I'm thinking maybe it isn't possible.

Can you (or someone else) clear this up for me, please?

What I have in mind is a template wrapped around a GTK AccelGroup
that could then be instantiated in the MainWindow as well as
inside any MenuItem needing a keyboard shortcut assignment.