GtkD slows down visual D keyboard

Amex Amex at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 08:31:10 UTC 2019

When debugging under visual D, the keyboard response is slowed
down to the extreme. This is a Gtk issue I believe. It only has
to do with the keyboard.

For example, if I hit F10 to step, it takes the ide about 10
seconds to "respond" and move to the next line... yet the mouse
can access stuff instantaneous.

I believe Gtk or GtkD is slowing down the keyboard input somehow
and for some reason making debugging apps a nightmare since it
literally takes about 100 times longer to debug than it should.

searching google reveals:

https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg/issues/4529

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/42018/debugging-with-keyboard-very-slow.html

"You somehow break keyboard shortcuts during debugging in VS if
the application you're debugging is registering a callback with
"SetWindowsHookEx" from user32.dll with hook ID "WH_KEYBOARD_LL".

Don't call it in debug builds or add "if (!Debugger.IsAttached)"
in front of the call to "SetWindowsHookEx" if the debugger is
attached before the function is called.

This brings debugging with keyboard back to the same speed as
with the UI buttons for our application."

This seems to be an issue with Gtk. I'm not sure if GtkD can do
anything about it. Maybe somehow reroute the keyboard
handler(first remove it from the hook then call it manually or
reduce the number of calls to it).