Does D have a tool like pySnooper?

Cym13 cpicard at openmailbox.org
Sat Apr 27 10:15:38 UTC 2019

On Monday, 22 April 2019 at 16:24:53 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
> Saw this tool and thought D could probably do something like
> this pretty easily. Is there such a tool out there already?
>
> https://github.com/cool-RR/pysnooper
>
> Or would this not be easy at all with D?

First line of that link: "PySnooper is a poor-man's debugger".

I don't think it is possible to do what PySnooper does at runtime
without significantly changing the code you write to accomodate
it, D and Python are just structured too differently. However I
see no advantage in having something like PySnooper either
because D has real debuggers.

Using gdb you can do everything that pysnooper does, dynamically
and with the corresponding lines of code. You also get much much
more such as memory inspection, memory modification, disassembly
or the magical ability to  rewind time from a crash.

PySnooper is nice for python, but I fail to see any advantage
over a real debugger in D.