Help me decide D or C

Bert Bert at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 03:59:23 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 31 July 2019 at 18:38:02 UTC, Alexandre wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like an honest opinion.
> I have a beginner level (able to do very small programs) in a
> few languages  such as python, go, C, guile(scheme) and common
> lisp. I want to pick a language and go deep with it and focus
> on only one for at least the next 2 years or so.
>
> Should I go for C and then when I become a better programmer
> change to D?
> Should I start with D right now?
>
> The reason I am considering starting with C: since I am a
> beginner, obvious I will need lots of books, tutorials, videos
> etc. And I believe C would have more resources and maybe a low
> level to help with programming in general. And, when I need a
> more powerful language, I would than learn D. Since you know
> the good and the ugly of the D programming language I wonder,
> what you would think would be the best to do right now?
>
> Thank you for your help!

I will go against the grain:

Start with both! Yes! You can do it! You can! In fact, you will
do it better! It will be a little harder at first but much faster
in the end.

D is C... no real difference, just minor stuff. Things take time
to sink in, so if you start D and C now you will be further down
the road than if you start D later.

But if you really want to learn to program I suggest you go with
Haskell. You can do them all together too but Haskell is like
learning Alien while D is learning German.