Help me decide D or C

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Aug 2 14:19:52 UTC 2019

On Friday, 2 August 2019 at 13:45:17 UTC, Alexandre wrote:
> On Friday, 2 August 2019 at 12:30:44 UTC, berni wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 31 July 2019 at 18:38:02 UTC, Alexandre wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> In my oppinion C should have been deprecated about 50 years
>> ago and it's not worth while to learn it if you are not
>> interested in the history of programming or you have to learn
>> it, because you need to maintain software which is allready
>> written in C. But that's my oppinion; others may have a
>> different sight.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Could you elaborate more about C being a burden? I have read so
> many people saying C gives a great foundation and should be
> everyone's first language. Now I am confused.

One example is this recent post:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/yjgkatpbkdyyksldgrhf@forum.dlang.org

“[...] recently all the problems I am having with D are because D
is actually superior to C and some assumptions I still have
because of C should be uninstalled from my brain.”

If you plan on ending up with D anyway, I think that learning C
first is an unnecessary detour and can be counter productive in
some ways. And if your objective is to have fun, I would
recommend against C (except for a masochistic kind of fun).

Don’t take the detour, take the D tour! :-)

Bastiaan.