Help me decide D or C

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Aug 2 16:13:04 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 1 August 2019 at 22:36:06 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 14:49 +0000, bachmeier via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: […]
>> There's nothing wrong with Haskell if you want to take a deep
>> dive into pure functional programming. I personally find
>> Haskell to be more of a religion than a programming language.
>> You can learn the same perspective from functional-first
>> languages like Clojure, Scala, Ocaml, and F#.
> […]
>
> Whilst I agree that most "this is the one true programming
> language" people are quasi-religious, programming languages are
> not: Haskell is a just a lazy, pure functional programming
> language, some adherents show quasi-religious fervour, just as
> some adherents of C++, Java, C, Go, Rust, D, etc. do.
>
> I am not sure about F# (I do not know anything of it), but
> Clojure, Scala, and OCaml are very different from Haskell for
> various reasons, cf. lazy vs. eager, pure vs. impure. Haskell
> is a programming language worth learning for all
> programmers,along with Lisp, Prolog, and Erlang.
>
> I'll bet (but I have no experimental data, just a hypothesis)
> that any D programmer that knows Haskell writes better D than a
> D programmer who doesn't know Haskell.

This is getting somewhat off the topic of this thread, so all
I'll say is that I agree with the recommendation to learn
Haskell, but I don't think a beginner would get enough exposure
to various approaches to programming. I did not personally see
large benefits from Haskell, but perhaps I should have stuck with
it longer.