Ethan: About your wpf/C# and D integration

Bert Bert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 13:08:17 UTC 2019

One of the biggest issues I have with D is properly gui
development. It's just a real pain in the ass compared to wpf and
C#.

I'm curious about what you have done and if it would let me get
the best of both worlds.

What I'd like to do is write the business end of apps in D and
use C# for the gui(with possibly wpf hosting a D gui window in
some cases for performance of graphics). I want to leverage D's
meta programming to write efficient oop structures.

For it to work well the amount of boilerplate has to be minimized
and the interfacing between D and C# also has to be minimal.

I'd have to be able to access the D types in C# somehow to access
the data so it can be visualized. I'm thinking that D could emit
some type of interface that allows referencing the objects in C#
as if they were C#, more or less(doesn't have to be full blown,
but at least fields and basic methods and properties).

I'm just not sure how much you've actually achieved in it or how
well it works. If it's just as much trouble as using D directly(I
use gtk and it works well for the most part but it's a little bit
of pain in some ways).