Do I understand std.experimental.allocator composition correctly?

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 01:06:55 UTC 2019

The documentation for std.experimental.allocator is a little dense and I
wanted to make sure I am understanding composition correctly.

Suppose I have the following, taken more-or-less direct from the docs:

     auto batchAllocator = AllocatorList!(
         (size_t n) => Region!Mallocator(max(n, 1024*1024))
     )();

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_experimental_allocator_building_blocks_region.html#.Region

Is my understanding correct that Mallocator, the ParentAllocator in
Region's construction will allocate a block of at least 1 MiB when a
request comes in, but calls to batchAllocator.make!(T) will allocate
only enough (rounded up to some ideal like a power of 2) to store T --
until it runs out, then the AllocatorList will allocate another block of
1 MiB, and so on?

Essentially, I need to allocate memory for objects in an inner loop, and
I thought a better strategy would be to make big block alloc(s) as a
pool and then hand out internal pointers into the pool. I previously did
this will malloc() and std.conv.emplace, but this looks like a better
solution, if my understanding is correct.

Thank you!