const and immutable values, D vs C++?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:44:12 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 at 22:29:13 UTC, kerdemdemir wrote:
> Unfortunately I am not yet good with D to answer your question .
> But Ali Çehreli made some comparesions with C++.
> https://dconf.org/2013/talks/cehreli.pdf
> And I think you will find the answers of your questions in it
> also.

Thanks. He didn't really compare to modern C++, but I appreciate
the pointer.

Seems to me that immutable references are primarily useful when
calling a function with two references to an array. So you can be
certain that the read-only reference will not be modified within
the function (if both parameters point to the same array as they
can with a const reference).

Also, constexpr in C++ is a CTFE constraint and not a type, so
not fully comparable to immutable, but same effect... perhaps.
Not sure how smart compilers are in this regard.

So immutable references i D is basically the same as
const-references with restrict in C/C++ (non-standard, but common
C++)?