unicode characters are not printed correctly on the windows command line?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 09:54:24 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 22 December 2019 at 06:25:42 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 22/12/2019 7:11 PM, moth wrote:

>> is there any function i can call or setting i can adjust to
>> get D to do the same, or do i have to wait for something to be
>> fixed in the language / compiler itself?
>>

> Not a bug. This is a known issue on the Windows side for people
> new to developing natively for it.

Yes, and it's not just D programs. And setting the code page
isn't always perfect, as it matters which font cmd is configured
to use. Google for "windows command prompt unicode output".

MS has updated the command prompt to support Unicode, but I don't
know how to use it:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-unicode-and-utf-8-output-text-buffer/

If you're on Windows 10, there's also Windows Terminal, which was
released on the app store in June:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-terminal-preview-v0-7-release/