unicode characters are not printed correctly on the windows command line?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 20:10:19 UTC 2019

On 12/23/19 2:52 PM, Symphony wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the inclusion of a std.io (e.g. Martin
> Nowak's io library) into Phobos be an easier and cleaner move? Other
> Phobos modules that require std.stdio could be gradually changed so that
> they use std.io instead.

Well, that's certainly a lot easier project. But one might question
whether we should do it unless we have a reason to have Phobos start
using it. As bachmeier mentioned, it can happily exist in its own location.

The "gradual change" thing, I don't know how that works.

Also note that std.io has no buffering. You need something like iopipe
on top of it for it to be reasonably usable.

> There would be the issue of two coexisting IO
> libraries in std, but issuing some warnings whenever std.stdio is
> imported wouldn't be too bad in my view; that is unless Mr. Bright's
> opposition is the main blocker.

It's not without precedent though. There actually was an alternate
stream system in Phobos, now in undead:
https://github.com/dlang/undeaD/blob/master/src/undead/stream.d

But I think before we think about making the attempt to get this
accepted, we really need to flesh out the end goal. The maintainers have
soured a bit I think on the std.experiemental location, especially since
we do have code.dlang.org. The bar for entry is high for Phobos.

My recommendation is to focus on getting the std.io project and the
iopipe project to be usable and fully featured. Then it may be a much
easier task to convince leadership that they should be in Phobos.

-Steve