What kind of Editor, IDE you are using and which one do you like for D language?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 30 06:43:03 UTC 2019

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 09:25:44PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 December 2019 at 14:41:46 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Whilst many programmers are happy using 1970s approaches
>
> Please. Have you actually spent the time to learn these systems in the
> last 40 years?
>
> My experience is IDEs are just different, not necessarily better or
> worse.  Just different enough that people used to one find the others
> difficult to learn.
[...]

Yeah, vim (and probably emacs -- I don't use it so can't speak for it)
has come a *long* ways from its original vi roots. So has CLI
development tools in general. I think it's very unfair to equate vim to
the 1970's version of vi when comparing it to a GUI-based IDE.

Generally, I find myself *much* more productive with CLI-based tools;
IDEs are generally much heavier in terms of memory and CPU usage, and
worst of all, require a GUI, which for me is a deal-breaker because I do
a lot of work over SSH connections on not necessarily reliable networks.
The amount of network traffic needed to operate a GUI over a remote
desktop is just so much more than the much lighter weight of a few
keystrokes that for me it's a very unproductive choice.  That, plus the
amount of RAM + CPU + disk investment needed just to get an IDE to even
start, to me cannot even begin to compare to how few resources are
needed to be highly productive with a bare-bones Vim installation. I
just have a hard time justifying such an investment when what I get in
return is so undesirable within my operational parameters.  If I were
forced to use an IDE, I would be tempted to just stop programming at
all. It would certainly *not* make me a better programmer.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 01:26:11AM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> I have trouble seeing how an IDE is going to make anyone a better
> programmer.
[...]

Yeah, I call BS on that statement.

OTOH, it's certainly a valid point that IDE support needs to be good in
order to appeal to that subset of programmers who prefer to work in an
IDE.

Today's society is one of specialization: as you grow, you learn more and more about less and less. Eventually, you know everything about nothing.