Singleton in Action?

Ron Tarrant rontarrant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:36:49 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 3 February 2019 at 18:53:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> You don't need to make it so complicated. Here's a simpler
> example:

Excellent. Thank you. Simple is best.

>     private __gshared auto instance_ = new DSingleton;

My understanding is that in D, this line effectively says: the
singleton is created at compile time and can't be changed, ever.
Is that a fair assessment?

>     private this() // private to make sure no one else can
> create an instance

I've seen comments similar to this in several examples. When you
say "no one else" you're personifying callers? And so this means:
No caller outside the object? Which really amounts to: Since no
one INside the object WILL call this() and no one OUTside CAN
call this(), it won't ever get called.

>     writeln(DSingleton.instance);

No '()' needed for the call to DSingleton.instance?

If it's called again from somewhere else, say from within an
object function several levels of scope away, it's called the
same way?