Submenu Not Responding Until Second Click

Antonio Corbi antonio at ggmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:28:06 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 February 2019 at 10:03:03 UTC, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 February 2019 at 08:41:29 UTC, Antonio Corbi
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ron,
>>
>> xrandr (and gui interfaces for it like arandr) are your
>> friends here.
>>
>> xrandr -q -> shows your card outputs and then you can use
>> xrandr + options to configure monitors.
>>
>> Or you can use arandr that will do that for you and will allow
>> you to visually spatially-arrange your monitors.
>>
>> Antonio
>
> Thanks for the tip, Antonio. I'd never heard of xrandr or
> arandr. Must be new since I stopped paying attention a few
> years ago.

No, xrandr has been around for a long time:
https://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/XRandR/

It makes easier than xinerama to configure several monitors. For
example when I start my xsession with an external monitor
attached to the HDMI port, I switch-off the internal laptop panel
and use only the external one, a small script like this does the
trick:

xrandr | grep "HDMI-1 conn" >/dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ]
then
   xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto --primary --output LVDS-1 --off
fi

Those names like HDMI-1 or LVDS-1 are the ones that 'xrandr' or
'xrandr -q' show you. Depending on the driver/card combination
they may change.

Xrandr requires that your card driver supports it, nowadays it is
the usual thing, but you'll have to check that.

Arandr (there are others) simplify the configure task due to
their GUI based interface, though I prefer the text based
interface that xrandr offers.

Antonio.