Linux & DMD & GtkD

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Sat Feb 16 13:49:02 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 16 February 2019 at 13:35:57 UTC, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I finally got a Linux Mint installation happening (very
> impressed, BTW) and did the usual HelloWorld.d compile with
> dmd, but I'm having trouble working out how to link to GtkD.
>
> dmd -de -w -m64 -L+gtkd hello_gtkd_world.d
>
> says it can't find MainWindow which tells me the gtkd libraries
> are not installed, are not included in the path, or some other
> oversight on my part.
>
> I tried using whereis to find gtkd, but to no avail.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Am I using the right syntax in the above command line?
>
> 2. How to search for things on Linux Mint
>
> The recommendations I've found so far are for the gnome search
> tool which spits out an error:
>
> Package gnome-search-tool is not available, but is referred to
> by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted,
> or
> is only available from another source

if you do it manually you will have to compile gtkd using the
Makefile, move the library stuff to somewhere and add
-I/path/to/gtkd/src" somewhere.

You will also need to `apt install libgtk-3-dev`

Maintaining GtkD with compiler and gtk updates will be kind of a
pain, I recommend using dub instead to manage it all for you
(except the apt install part)

If you don't want to manually compile gtkd with any update
breaking it, you can also use the d-apt
(https://d-apt.sourceforge.io/) and `apt install libgtkd3-nn
libgtkd3-dev libgtkd3-doc`

But I still recommend using dub instead, you don't need to make a
manual build file or remember the build command with it, you just
run `dub` and it fetches and compiles GtkD if it's out of date or
the compiler updated :)