Libraries, versions, API changes, and Dub

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 05:44:22 UTC 2019

It appears that libdvbv5 has undergone an (unnoticed by me till just now)
version change. This raises a general question for creators of D bindings.

libdvbv5 has versions 1.12.x, 1.14.x, 1.16.x, etc, following the "odd is
internal, even is released" minor version number strategy. It seems wrong
somehow to follow that numbering for the D binding; the binding needs to have
a separate evolution. However the binding has to allow the user to choose the
major.minor number of the underlying library they have – though that should
perhaps be done automatically using the pkg-config system.

Has anyone had previous experience of this situation and can give
advice/direction so I don't have to build a solution from first principles?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200