Reversing a string

AndreasDavour andreas.davour at protonmail.ch
Fri Jan 11 08:50:58 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 08:45:12 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 11 January 2019 at 08:15:01 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
>> Note the immutable, it means you cannot modify individual
>> values. Which is a problem for reverse because it modifies in
>> place.
>>

> The error message is kind of unfortunate. This is a simple
> usecase and the error message is undecipherable already. It'd
> be cool if the compiler could try to strip immutability, and if
> the type matches then, throw an error something like "Cannot
> pass immutable char[] to reverse, did you mean char[]?".

That would help a lot, as I got "rikki cattermole"'s answer at
once, when my eyes were brought to the "immutable" part.

I come from the lisp world, so I'm kind of familiar with the idea
of copying and/or modifying in place to limit consing. I guess I
should I have realised this would be a perfect example of that
kind of situation.