UTFException when reading a file

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jan 11 20:05:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 07:45:05PM +0000, Head Scratcher via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> I am using readText to read a file into a string. I am getting a
> UTFException on the file. It is probably because the file has an
> extended ANSI character that is not UTF-8.
> How can I read the file and convert the string into proper UTF-8 in
> memory without an exception?

What's the encoding of the file?  Without knowing the original encoding,
there is no way to get UTF-8 out of it without the risk of some data
being lost / garbled.

Take a look at std.encoding to see if your file's encoding is already
supported. If not, you may have to read the file in binary and do the
conversion into UTF-8 yourself. Or use an external program to re-encode
your file into UTF-8.  On Posix systems, the 'recode' utility will help
you do this.

To err is human; to forgive is not our policy. -- Samuel Adler