Building Libraries in the face of API and ABI changes

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jan 14 14:07:16 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-01-13 at 21:56 +0100, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On 2019-01-11 06:31, Russel Winder wrote:
>
> > DStep generated bindings tend to need some manual tweaking that cannot be
> > automated, which is surprising given that bindgen can do things without
> > manual
> > intervention for Rust.
>
> It's not surprising at all. Different tools, different approaches,
> different amount of man power, different output languages and so on.

Indeed. Apologies for any aggressiveness that I might have appeared to set
out, it was not intended. It's really just frustration.

To balance things out a bit: DStep does some stuff that Bindgen just doesn't
even tackle. I am finding I am having to do some manual stuff with Bindgen.

> Please file any bugs and/or enhancement requests that you find.

Wilco. But I'll try and create test cases rather than just point at the full
project.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200