Compiling to 68K processor (Maybe GDC?)

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sat Jan 19 12:54:28 UTC 2019

On 20/01/2019 1:38 AM, Edgar Vivar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a project aiming to old 68K processor. While I don't think DMD
> would be able for this on the other hand I think GDC can, am I right?
>
> If yes would be any restriction of features to be used? Or the compiler
> would be smart enough to handle this properly?
>
> Edgar V.

Potentially.

D is designed to only work on 32bit+ architectures. The 68k series did
have 32bit versions of them.

After a quick check it does look like LDC is out as LLVM has not yet got
support for M68k target. Which is unfortunate because with the -betterC
flag it could have pretty much out of the box worked. Even if you don't
have most of D at your disposal e.g. classes and GC (but hey old cpu!
can't expect that).

I have no idea about GDC, but the -betterC flag is pretty recent so its
support may not be what you would consider first class there yet.