crashing with no stack trace, why?

DanielG simpletangent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:09:56 UTC 2019

I have a program that was crashing due to a "Conversion positive
overflow", specifically calling .to!int on a too-large unsigned
value.

However it was simply crashing with an exit code (-1073740771 /
‭0xC000041D‬), and I was having a heck of a time trying to debug
on Windows. (Shoutout to the revamped WinDbg Preview, couldn't
get anything else to work!)

I wondered if there was something in my code that was causing the
silent crash, so I isolated the calculation (with a little bit of
context to mimic the in-situ code), but in a standalone .d file,
I simply get the overflow exception with a normal stack trace.

Is this something I should try to whittle down with DustMite to
get to the bottom of, for a bug report? Or is there something I'm
failing to understand about this kind of crash?

This is on Windows 10 64-bit, DMD v2.084.0, both x86_mscoff and
x86_64.