System requirements for compiling/linking big D codebases

Yatheendra 3df4 at gmail.ru
Mon Jun 17 07:52:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

For the sake of people habituated to compiling compilers from
source, is it possible to add to the dmd_linux page the 64-bit
hardware resource requirements for compiling DMD/Phobos from
source? Ideally, with the defaults and also with 2.086's -lowmem
switch? Maybe an ever-green link, to those numbers seen on the CI
infrastructure when building the release?

I hope it is not out of the way for users to compile DMD from
source, since I guess people do it for Rust, OCaml, etc. all the
time (and, compiling GCC in stages isn't rare either). -lowmem
hopefully will make the compiler's compilation memory usage as
palatable as other compilers'.

I have had to incompletely discover this info. What I have seen
is that compiling takes maybe 1G disk dpace, linking DMD doesn't
even take 1G of RAM, whereas 3+G available RAM isn't enough for
linking Phobos. Short of waiting for Gentoo's dlang to move on
from 2.085 so that I have recourse to -lowmem, I would have to
chuck more RAM into an older system that actually compiles GCC,
libstdc++, OCaml, etc. just fine.

- Cheers.