Where is GDC being developed?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 02:33:13 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 21 March 2019 at 22:51:21 UTC, James Blachly wrote:

> Thanks -- I also tried to figure out how to install GDC just
> yesterday and gave up. All wiki links and google top results
> seemed dead ends.

I'm also a little puzzled by how GDC is structured, but I have
learned a few things with the help of some of the GDC developers,
and I'll share my understanding below (though be aware that my
assumptions may be wrong).

GDC is in a weird state right now where it needs to boostrap
itself.  The bootstrap compiler has a front-end written in C++,
but the lastest GDC on GitHub has a front-end written in D.

My understanding is that this bootstrap compiler with the
front-end written in C++ is what is being released with GCC 9.
Since GCC always needs to be able to be built with a prior
version of GCC, GCC 10 will be the first release with the latest
D frontend.

So, to build your own GDC compiler, you need to first build the
bootstrap compiler.  I have a script for that at
https://github.com/JinShil/native-gdc

Then, using the bootstrap compiler, you can build the latest GDC
with the D frontend from GitHub.  I have a script for that too,
but it is only for building an ARM cross-compiler.  See
https://github.com/JinShil/arm-none-eabi-gdc

Mike