OT - Git training Lon/HK and book recommendation on taste in programming

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Wed May 1 19:17:52 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 at 09:51:01 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> Hi.
>
> First question - can anyone recommend git / Gitlab training
> providers in HK and London?  Two distinct audiences - highly
> intelligent people that may or may not really program, and
> experienced developers with a finance background that could
> benefit from knowing how to use git properly (finance is often
> in the dark ages).

Can't recommend anyone in particular, but I would recommend to do
some interactive challenges at some point. Instruqt is a good
one. It has a section on git.
https://instruqt.com/public/topics/getting-started-with-git . It
is fun and can give you insights who is picking up the material
and who is lagging behind.

> Second question.  Lots of people these days start to program to
> solve their problems at work but they may never have been shown
> the basic principles of design, structuring and maintenance of
> their code.  If I could give them one book (and a few YouTube
> links) what should it be ?

'Code Complete' is always good. And there are plenty of MIT
courses online of course, like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytpJdnlu9ug&list=PLUl4u3cNGP63WbdFxL8giv4yhgdMGaZNA (6.0001 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming in Python. Fall 2016). Also, there are ones from the 80's, they have a certain quality, a certain rigor that I fail to find in more recent lectures.