Performance of tables slower than built in?

Alex AJ at gmail.com
Fri May 24 11:57:44 UTC 2019

On Friday, 24 May 2019 at 08:13:00 UTC, Basilez B. wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 10:16:42 UTC, Alex wrote:

>>> Hi, lookup tables ARE faster but the problem you have here,
>>> and I'm surprised that nobody noticed it so far, is that YOUR
>>> SWITCH LEADS TO A RUNTIME STRING COMPARISON AT RUNTIME. Just
>>> replace it with a static if (Method = "Linear") { /*...*/}
>>> else { /*...*/}
>>>
>>> Also takes care to the type used. With DMD the implicit
>>> coercion of float and double can lead to extra conversions.
>>>
>>> You'll directly see a 15% gain after refactoring the switch.
>>
>> Surely not?!?! Surely the compiler can optimize that switch
>> since the value passed is CT? I thought the whole point of not
>> having static switch(analogous to static if) was because it
>> would go ahead and optimize these cases for us... and it's
>> just a switch, just a jmp table.
>
> Try by yourself but to be clear note that I don't like your
> attitude, which I find disrespectful.

Are you an idiot or on medications? My attitude? What did you
want me to do? Suck your cock? My attitude? Seriously? WHERE?
WHERE? You quoted everything?

I don't like your attitude? You seem to be extremely
oversensitive and take things out of context?

It sounds like you just don't like people questioning you in any
way shape or form even if you are wrong.

"Surely not?!?! Surely the compiler can optimize that switch
since the value passed is CT? I thought the whole point of not
having static switch(analogous to static if) was because it
would go ahead and optimize these cases for us... and it's
just a switch, just a jmp table."

Where? I seriously do not like your attitude though! You attack
me when I said nothing offensive to you. You have serious
problems. Get back on or get off the lithium.

[Now, of course, you get to see what an attitude really looks
like... maybe I've taught you a bit about perspective? I doubt
it.]