Performance of tables slower than built in?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 24 13:57:30 UTC 2019

On Friday, 24 May 2019 at 12:24:02 UTC, Alex wrote:
> If it truly is a 27x faster then then that is very relevant and
> knowing why is important.
>
> Of course, a lot of that might simply be due to LDC and I
> wasn't able to determine this.

Just one more thing you really ought to consider:

It isn't obvious that a LUT using double will be more precise
than computing sin using single precision float.

So when I use single precision float with ldc and "-O3
-ffast-math" then I get roughly 300ms. So in that case the LUT is
only 3 times faster.

Perhaps not worth it then. You might as well just use float
instead of double.

The downside is that -ffast-math makes all your computations more
inaccurate.

It is also possible that recent processors can do multiple
sin/cos as simd.

Too many options… I know.