rdmd takes 2-3 seconds on a first-run of a simple .d script

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Sun May 26 20:37:36 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 22:18:16 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 08:32:08 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
>> I have a simple standard .d script and I'm getting annoyed
>> that it takes 2-3 seconds to run and see the results via rdmd.
>
> Also please keep in mind there could be other factors like slow
> disks, anti virus scanners,... which causes a slow down.

I have seen similar behavior that I attribute to virus scan
software. After compiling a program, the first run takes several
seconds to run, after that it runs immediately. I'm assuming the
first run of an unknown binary triggers a scan, though I cannot
be completely sure.

Try compiling a new binary in D or C++ and see if a similar
effect is seen.

--Jon