Dub and gitsubmodules

user5678 user5678 at 1234.de
Tue Nov 5 19:26:54 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 November 2019 at 13:37:47 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> Does anyone know a reliable way of having a dub package that
> contains git submodules and is to be used as a dependency?
>
> I am looking for a way to ensure the submodules are initialised
> before a build.

You can use the "preGenerateCommands" to launch the adequate git
commands. The submodule needs to be indicated using the "path"
property :

       "preGenerateCommands" : ["git submodule update --init
--recursive"],
       "dependencies" : {
         "theGitSubModule" : {
           "path" : "./theGitSubModulePath"
         },

I have done this before and while it worked I had to "dub build"
twice because the project needed to be read a second time to
discover new source files generated by the commands.

There's a PR that is supposed to fix that:
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1708
But more likely at some point git submodules will be supported
natively.