D vs Java which is more powerful

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Sat Nov 16 22:25:46 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 16 November 2019 at 07:24:50 UTC, GreatSam4sure
wrote:
> According to this [1] a person that java is much more powerful
> than D. I am really surprised at this claim. Is this true?
> Because I believe D much more powerful than Java.
>

> I will really appreciate detail analysis
>

> 1.https://forum.dlang.org/thread/lnrhskowvyighdnzbdsn@forum.dlang.org

Java as a language in itself is not more powerful than D
regardless of opinions.

D as a language on its own is probably the most powerful language
because of the way templates and metaprogramming works, CTFE etc.
there's just no equivalent really. The closest to a competitor
language-wise is Nim.

However that being said ....

Java excels far more than D in its framework, available packages
and library ports but that's because Java is more popular and has
been one of the most popular languages far longer than D has. D
is not even popular compared to Java.

D cannot and probably won't ever match the ecosystem of Java but
that doesn't mean Java is the better choice. It all comes down to
use-cases.

You can't really say any language is better than another because
each language has pros and cons. They're all tools and should be
used respectively.

Ex. you can see Java as a hammer and D is a screwdriver.

A lot of people fail to realize that each language is a tool and
not a toolbox.