dmd memory usage

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 17:06:46 UTC 2019

On 11/24/19 10:34 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2019-11-18 01:20, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I'm fighting some out of memory problems using DMD and some
>> super-template heavy code.
>>
>> I have ideas on how to improve the situation, but it involves
>> redesigning a large portion of the design. I want to do it
>> incrementally, but I need to see things improving.
>>
>> Is there a straightforward way to figure out how much memory the
>> compiler uses during compilation? I though maybe /usr/bin/time, but I
>> feel like I don't trust the output to be the true max resident size to
>> be what I'm looking for (or that it's 100% accurate). Is there a
>> sure-fire way to have DMD print it's footprint?
>
> You can also try the memory profiler in Instruments (shipped with Xcode).

I've actually been using --DRT-gcopt=profile:1 -lowmem with great
success. And I'm also doing this on my Linux VM, so no xcode.

The only issue is that dub somehow removes the output from the profile,
so I have to dub -v then copy the command line. Not the end of the
world, but it would be nice if it just output the result correctly.

-Steve