Deprecation message sources

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 18 00:07:27 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:28:33 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 08:55:27PM +0000, Johan Engelen via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: [...]
>
> > Wow. How come this is not caught by the CI testing?
>
> [...]
>
> Is the CI setup to detect deprecations and flag them as failures?
>
> It's either that, or many cases are not tested because Phobos has a lot
> of templates, not all of which are instantiated with the specific
> combination of template arguments that triggers deprecation messages.

Yes. Seb made druntime and Phobos compile with -de a while back in order to
make sure that all cases where deprecations pop up actually get fixed - but
of course, that's only going to catch the cases that are in the tests, and
it probably wouldn't be hard to trigger a bunch of deprecations in Phobos by
doing something like using a range of Nullable, since implicit conversions
would probably get triggered all over the place - especially if it's the
case that the deprecation message gets triggered by stuff like static if
tests and template constraints (I'm not sure that it does in this case, but
I have seen problems in the past where template constraints triggered
deprecation messages; last time I tried to deprecate TickDuration, I ran
into a bunch of problems like that, which is why it hasn't been deprecated
yet).

- Jonathan M Davis