Indexed graphics for retro engine?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 05:22:37 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 19 September 2019 at 03:47:05 UTC, Shadowblitz16
wrote:
> Is there a way to make a indexed graphics library that can
> handle importing and exporting true color images?

I don't see why not.

> I would guess something like this could be simulated with
> pointers and references right?

If you want to, say, take a 24-bit or 32-bit and treat it as an
8-bit image, you'll probably want to actually do a conversion
rather than a simulation. In which case you'd probably be better
off just using an existing C library like FreeImage. You can find
a binding here:

https://github.com/BindBC/bindbc-freeimage

Otherwise, you'll want to hit up a graphics programming forum for
resources on image conversion. Two possibilities:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GraphicsProgramming/

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/5-graphics-and-gpu-programming/