Packaging and Distributing Dlang Applications with GtkD Dependency?

Hossain Adnan relay.public.adnan at outlook.com
Sat Sep 28 02:15:42 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 11:46:04 UTC, Ron Tarrant
wrote:
> Hi y'all,
>
> I've been Googling how to do this, but coming up with nothing
> definitive. Are there any articles for how to do this for:

> Linux?

For Linux there are 3 new options:

1. Appimages (https://appimage.org/): This is very similar to
Window's msi installer. You can host the app installer binary in
bintray or in your website.

2. Flatpaks (https://flatpak.org/): Flatpak is quickly becoming
more and more popular as it provides higher level customization
for desktop applications in Linux. The flatpak API is not trivial
but there are tutorials available to use flatpak and meson. A
well known Linux application named Tilix
(https://github.com/gnunn1/tilix) has a flatpak repo
(https://github.com/gnunn1/tilix/tree/master/experimental/flatpak).

3. Snap (https://snapcraft.io/): Backed by Cannonical, snap
provides a really easy way to distribute applications in Linux. I
personally think Snaps are easier to create although I haven't
invested time in distributing an app using snap. DMD, Dub and LDC
are also shipped with it.

There are tutorials for using all of those three online, but not
specific to Dlang. But if you use the Meson build system there
are plenty of tutorials available.