Checked!({short, ushort, byte, ubyte}, Throw): compilation fails

kdevel kdevel at vogtner.de
Fri Apr 17 21:25:34 UTC 2020

On Friday, 17 April 2020 at 12:59:20 UTC, Simen Kjærås wrote:

[Deleted text makes sense]

> And assigning from an int to a short may discard data, so it's
> statically disallowed by Checked.
> This is a deliberate design choice, and the appropriate way to
> handle it is with a cast:
>
> unittest {
>     import std.experimental.checkedint;
>     Checked!(int, Throw) a = 65535;
>     Checked!(short, Throw) b = cast(short)a;
> }

A curiosity. Usually you cast into the type on the left. But

    Checked!(short, Throw) b = cast (Checked!(short, Throw)) a;

does not compile:

    Error: template std.experimental.checkedint.Checked!(int,
    Throw).Checked.opCast cannot deduce function from argument
types
    !(Checked!(short, Throw))(), candidates are: [...]

One has to go over the underlying type?

> The above code will throw when casting (before the assignment),
> because 65535 can't fit in a short.

It's remarkable that the cast to the /underlying type/ throws. I
would have expected that

    cast(short) a

is equivalent to what actually must be written as

    cast(short) a.get

> You also get a deprecation message, about an integral promotion
> not being performed. I believe the result is correct and the
> warning can be ignored.

So the warning is a bug?

void foo (T) ()
{