GUI library for DMD 2.090 or DMD 2.091

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Apr 24 18:52:55 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-04-24 at 15:50 +0000, Phrozen via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:

[…]
> @Basile B., thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this library too.

Just a bit of confirmation: I am a fan of D and GtkD for desktop UI
work.

GTK+ is just a UI framework unlike Qt (which is UI and networking,
database, etc.) and is fairly straightforward to work with after the
initial learning hump – which is the same between GTK+ and Qt. Qt is
really C++ and Python only though many languages have bindings to QML.
GTK+ has many bindings, C++, Go, Rust, and D to name just the obvious
native code languages. C++ (gtkmm) and Go (gotk3) bindings are manuals
ones, Rust (gtk-rs) and D (GtkD) bindings are generated from the API
specification (GIR files). I believe this makes gtk-rs and GtkD far
superior to gtkmm and gotk3.

I have done a number of projects in Rust/gtk-rs and D/GtkD. Overall I
prefer the code of D/GtkD over Rust/gtk-rs *but* there is much more IDE
and editor support for Rust compared to D. This makes Rust code easier
to write than the equivalent  D code, even if that Rust code is more
ugly than the equivalent D code.

So whilst I keep wanting to do D/GtkD, I keep getting pulled to
Rust/gtk-rs simply because CLion (and Emacs) support for Rust is so
much nicer than the D support.

I must laud Samael's efforts on the IntelliJ IDEA/CLion D support, it
is magnificent, but the project needs more resource to get the CLion D
plugin somewhere near as good as the Rust CLion plugin. I am sure
VisualStudio fans, indeed any other IDE users, will say the same about
their IDE, I am a CLion user so try to push CLion support.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200