Can't recreate a range?

Casey noman at email.com
Thu Apr 30 19:04:36 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 30 April 2020 at 18:30:14 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 06:05:55PM +0000, Paul Backus via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: [...]
>> Doing work in popFront instead of front is usually an
>> anti-pattern, since it forces eager evaluation of the next
>> element even when that element is never used. You should only
>> do this if there's no reasonable way to avoid it.
>
> Really?? IME, usually you *need* to do work in popFront instead
> of front, because otherwise .empty wouldn't be able to tell
> whether there is another element or not.  E.g., in filtering a
> range based on some criterion on each element, you can't defer
> computing the next element until .front because you can't
> predict whether there will be another element that won't be
> dropped by popFront.
>
> Also, for ranges based on generator functions, if .front is
> lazy then you need to keep extra baggage around your range to
> indicate whether or not the generator has been invoked yet;
> it's easier to just always compute the next element eagerly and
> cache it, and .front just returns the cached data.
>
> Even when the range involves some expensive per-element
> computation, I find that it's simpler to just compute and cache
> in .popFront instead of adding extra baggage to .front to know
> when the computation has already been performed.
>
> I'm hard-pressed to come up with an example where deferring
> computation to .front is a good idea!

Well, I just remembered that I had a tab open to this:
http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/ranges.html

Reading, you see the following:

* empty: specifies whether the range is empty; it must return
true when the range is considered to be empty, and false otherwise
* front: provides access to the element at the beginning of the
range
* popFront(): shortens the range from the beginning by removing
the first element

Looking at that, if popFront shortens the range, then to me it
sounds like the work should be done in popFront.