vibe.d and my first web service

Ben benjiro at benjiro.com
Thu Aug 20 13:34:56 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 13 August 2020 at 09:54:06 UTC, Mr. Backup wrote:
> And as soon as I came across it, I wanted to use it in my
> project. But it has many packages for the same things, but
> these packages are unfinished. Everyone creates their own. You
> start comparing them and don't know what to choose for your job
> and then you find out that you should have chosen another and
> then find out that you should have written it yourself. And
> then I finally done it in golang in a while. I think the dlang
> community should focus on creating a quality standard library.
>
> We live in the 21st century where there are web technologies
> everywhere around us, so I think that the http package should
> be part of a standard library.

People have been pushing for that for years but the answer in D (
and some other languages ) always tend to be the same.

"We do not want to bloat the standard library". In reality it
comes down to: "We do not want the responsibility of maintaining
a lot more code".

So the buck gets pushed to the community and if its not a big
community, you will see a of people starting projects. It works
for them on their projects and then it get abandoned as they move
to new languages or have no time.

If we look at Go or Crystal or ... a lot of the reason why people
pick up those languages, boils down to "its easy to get some
output". A few lines of code and it makes people feel successful
and they move on to the next step and forward from their on.
Growing more into the languages.

In D's case, we enjoy the constant Vibe.D warning hell ( when it
did not break outright with specific D versions! ). That not only
scares away people, it also makes development annoying when your
constantly spammed with warnings and you can not see what is
vibe.d's warnings and what is your code's warnings!

And vibe.d is on the front pages, as the prime example for people
to try out D.
o_O

Anyway, its a dead argument, go back in time to see that same
suggestion in 2017, 2015, 201... And people argued about it,
people telling other "no" and new users kept enjoying the vibe.d
issue train ( among other issues ) while leaving fast. And then
people keep wondering why a lot of people do not stick around and
run towards Go or other languages ... I wonder why D has
popularity issues.